Indiana Association of the Deaf shared National Association of the Deaf - NAD's post. ...

MARK YOUR CALENDARS for a national rally in DC on March 8th. As constituents, we must highlight our concerns with bills coming and going, especially when they affect our rights. With a unified front, we will change the system. JOIN: dgm2018.wixsite.com/tdgm

View on Facebook

James Carr: Hello, I’m James Carr.
Trevor: Baldwin: Hello, I’m Trevor Baldwin, I’m President for IAD. For the last two months, I’ve been in contact with different politicians to discuss with different issues. Finally, IAD made contact with U.S. Representative Andre Carson in federal level.
James: It’s critical for us to discuss with the politicians especially to all House of Representatives and Senators in state level. For an example, if you have a problem with your SSDI being cut or problems with Medicaid/Medicare or employment, or any other issues, you should meet your representatives, they will fix it for you. You don’t need to go through legal process with a lawyer. The lawyer tend to contact the politicians and will fix it for you with legal fee. Contact your representatives directly and they will fix it for you. They should serve for you.
Trevor: (showing the brochure) There are a list of services that your representative can do for you. Not just the House of Representatives but Senators will help you with your issues. If you have issues with your SSDI, contact your Representatives/ Senators. It’s their job and duty to serve the public especially us. For the last two months, we have been trying to contact different politicians and wanted to show up at the State House to interact with the politicians and learn a lot of things. This would be the first time for IAD to discuss with a Representative in federal level, in the past we have discussed with Representatives in the state level. We have learned a lot from them and some of them impressed us and enjoyed the interaction. We learned the political process and how we can get their support. Some of them supported us and some do not.
James: Also, I discussed about language deprivation and the politicians didn’t know about it and were glad that they were getting education about it. Also, I discussed about the hospital experience with VRI and they didn’t know about it. It’s important to educate the politicians to preserve our rights as Deaf people. If you have a hard time with student loans, contact your Representatives and Senators and they will try their best to help you on that. If you want to set up a small business, they will help your small business to be successful. If you are a part of an organization and you need help to write grants, they will help you with resources to write grants. With all of these resources from House of Representatives, it’s critical to contact them, I know that many of us didn’t know about this and thought they are just there for bills and legislations. I think contacting them about your issues is really important.
Trevor: Yes, I agree! Why we vote for them in first place? It’s their duty and responsible to serve the public especially the Deaf community. If you vote for them, they must serve us. If you have an issue, contact them, they have a team in their office that will help you. We must take the opportunity to contact them. Don’t just contact them once, keep contact them until they are well aware of the issues in the Deaf community. It’s important for them to know there are different kinds of people in the Deaf community. It’s important for Deaf community to show up at the State House to meet the politicians for them to be aware of the Deaf community.
James: Lastly, it’s critical for you to go to any government office to register to vote. If you are registered to vote, you will have a better chance to get the attention from the politicians. It’s important to go to register to vote. It’s amazing how easy it is to interact with the legislators. I hope you will get the chance to meet with your Representatives. Thank you!
Trevor: If you have any questions, concerns, or any assistance, contact us or visit us at IAD office. We will happy to help you to learn more about the political system. We want the Deaf community to thrive and be successful!
Trevor and James: Thank you!

(Transcribed by Jahan Farzam)
...

View on Facebook

One idea for IAD Academy course for everyone. I can make it happened if I can get over 10 people interesting in this comment please. ...

View on Facebook

Hello, my name is James Carr and I’m IAD’s academic director. I’m also responsible for subscriptions for IDN500. Many of you have subscribed with IDN500 and have conflicts and concerns with subscriptions. If you have any concerns or feedback on IDN500, we will have a public meeting to discuss about IDN500 on February 17th from 12pm to 2pm at Deaf Community Room at Raney Hall on ISD campus. Please bring your friends and we welcome any inputs and feedback to improve IDN500. We hope to see you all there! Thank you! ...

View on Facebook

Hello, Indiana Deaf Community!
My name is Donnie Brooks and I’m IAD Bylaws Committee Chairperson. IAD’s bylaws needs modifications and will need to set up a committee as soon as possible before IAD conference next year. With new modifications from the committee, IAD will be stronger to serve the Deaf community in Indiana. If you or anyone is an expert or know how to modify the bylaws and the procedures or interested to be in this committee, please contact us, the contact information is down below. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
...

View on Facebook

Exercise with David Geeslin coming sooon ...

View on Facebook

Holiday is over. Time for you to join IAD exercise program by David Geeslin. Start this Jan 23. Sign up by Jan 13. Every Tuesday and Thursday. 415 to 445 or 515-545. $25 fee. Free for ISD employer comment if interest. ...

View on Facebook

Indiana Association of the Deaf shared a post. ...

Hello, my name is Anastasia Greenberg, I’m the new interim President of Indiana Rainbow Alliance of the Deaf. We just finished our first meeting and we would like to announce that we already set up for the next meeting on January 11, 2018 from 6pm to 8pm at Multiple-Purpose Room at ISD. If you have any questions about RAD or would like to be involved with RAD or would like to improve the LGBTQ+ community within the Deaf community, please feel free to contact us! I hope to see you all in the next meeting! Thank you!

View on Facebook